The Music minor presupposes a high level of interest and aptitude in music. All students are auditioned before admission to the program. Students in this minor are advised to take one music-related Integrative Studies course with integrative outcomes addressing diversity or global issues.
|Minor Requirements (24 credits)|
|Applied Music: Select six credits of the following:||6|
Applied Music courses may be taken for 1 or 2 credits each, with additional semesters of study as necessary, for a minimum of 6 credits total.
|MU-118||Functional Piano I||1|
|MU-151||Music Theory I||2|
Students who do not pass the theory placement test given at the time of their audition are advised to seek a private tutor to eliminate this deficiency before starting the sequence of theory classes.
|MU-152||Music Theory II||2|
|MU-161||Aural Skills I||1|
|MU-162||Aural Skills II||1|
|Select four credits of the following Ensembles:||4|
|KSC Concert Choir|
|KSC Chamber Singers|
|Select at least six credits from the following:||6|
|Latin American Music Survey|
|Music Cultures of the World|
|Women in Music|
|History of Rock & Roll|
|The History of Jazz|
|Listening to America|
|Latin American Music, Society, & Culture|
|Teaching Music to Children|
|Afro-Brazilian Music & Culture|
|Film Music History & Technique|
|Introduction to Music Technology|
|Topics in Music|
|Western Music Before 1700|
|Western Music After 1700|
Keene State College is an institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music. The Music Minor at KSC will continue to be aligned with NASM’s standards, guidelines, competencies, and procedures. Upon completion of the Music minor, students will gain:
- The ability to hear, identify, and work conceptually with the elements of music such as rhythm, melody, harmony, structure, timbre, texture.
- An understanding of and the ability to read and realize musical notation.
- An understanding of compositional processes, aesthetic properties of style, and the ways these shape and are shaped by artistic and cultural forces.
- An acquaintance with a wide selection of musical literature, the principal eras, genres, and cultural sources.
- The ability to develop and defend musical judgments.
Performance and Music Electives
- The ability in performing areas at levels consistent with the goals and objectives of the Music Minor
- An understanding of procedures for realizing a variety of musical styles.
- Knowledge and/or skills in one or more areas of music beyond basic musicianship appropriate to the individual’s needs and interests, and consistent with the purposes of the Music Minor.