Professional Writing Minor
This minor is designed to help students to prepare for writing in workplace contexts and for civic purposes.
|Minor Requirements (20 credits)|
|IIENG-305||Classical Rhetoric for Writers||4|
|ENG-307||Professional Writing Workshop||4|
|Select two of the following:||8|
|Graphic Design Process|
|Typographic Form and Function (Prereq: IAART-105)|
|Web Design 1|
|Careers & Professional Comm|
|Website Design & Construction|
|Descriptive Grammar (Prereq: ITW 101 and one 200-level English course)|
|Media Writing Fundamentals|
Upon completion of the Profession Writing minor, students will:
- Become familiar with expectations and types of professional and workplace writing.
- Identify and analyze the audience and purpose for writing situations and draft and design needed documents accordingly.
- Communicate information accurately and efficiently through various types of documents.
- Create effective oral presentations, applying professional writing principles.
- Incorporate visuals effectively to enhance the communication of ideas and concepts.
- Conduct usability testing to test the effectiveness of documents with the target audience(s).
- Collaborate with a writing team to successfully complete projects.
- Demonstrate an understanding of key concepts in professional writing: context, purpose, audience, genre, usability, visual rhetoric.