Academic Catalog

Admissions Policies

Applying to college can be overwhelming and we want to make the process easier for you. Whether you’re a freshman, transfer, veteran or international student, you are assigned an admissions counselor to answer your questions and help you along the way. Now is the best time to apply to Keene State! The sooner we receive your application and all supporting documents, the sooner you’ll get a decision, which allows you to narrow down your college choices and begin the financial aid process earlier.

  • Freshman students can apply online using the Common Application
  • Transfer students can apply online using the Keene State Transfer Application
  • Transfer students currently enrolled at NH community college apply using NHTransfer

Applying for Admission

First-Year or High School Applicants

  • Complete and submit the Common Application.
  • Submit your official high school transcript
  • Keene State College is test blind. SAT/ACT scores are not required. 
  • Complete the FAFSA2 and ask that your ISIR be shared with KSC. Our FAFSA number is 002590
  • Letter of recommendation encouraged but not required.
  • Residency Statement – New Hampshire residents that have been offered admission to KSC will be required to submit a notarized residency statement after May 1.


Home-Schooled Applicants

  • Complete and submit the Common Application
  • Submit a transcript containing a list of coursework with descriptions.  Admissions at Keene State is handled very similarly for homeschoolers as it is for traditionally schooled students.  We actively seek out and encourage homeschoolers to apply. 
  • Keene State College is test blind. SAT/ACT scores are not required. 
  • Complete the FAFSA2 and ask that your ISIR be shared with KSC. Our FAFSA number is 002590


Transfer Students

  • Complete and submit the Transfer Application1
  • Students currently enrolled at one of the seven NH community colleges complete and submit the Transfer Connections Application2
  • Submit official final high school transcript
  • Submit all official college transcripts
  • Submit Confidential Recommendation Form1
  • Complete the FAFSA3 and ask that your ISIR be shared with KSC. Our FAFSA number is 002590
  • Review information regarding transfer of credit at keene.edu4






  • If you are a first-time Freshman, complete and submit the Common Application1 
  • If you are a transfer student, complete and submit the Transfer Application1
  • Submit official final high school transcript
  • If you are transferring to KSC, submit all official college transcripts and the Confidential Recommendation Form2
  • Complete the FAFSA3 and ask that your ISIR be shared with KSC. Our FAFSA number is 002590
  • Review information regarding Veterans Education Benefits4




International Students

Keene State College welcomes well-qualified students from outside of the United States. Most international students enter Keene State with some academic credit from their home institutions. Transfer credit - including final years of secondary schooling - may be granted after a determination of the type of institution involved in its recognition by the educational authorities in the home country, and an evaluation of the content, level, and comparability of the study of courses and programs at Keene State.

A complete application for an international student requires the following:

  • A completed application using the common application
  • Official copies of secondary and postsecondary academic records with official English translations, when necessary, including:
    • Transcripts/marks sheets/grade reports of all course works completed with grades or marks for each course indicated
    • A course-by-course evaluation of international educational credentials completed by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. A list is available from the Office of National and International Exchange, 603-258-2348.
  • For students whose primary language of instruction is not English: Demonstrated proof of language proficiency can either be established by on-campus interviews, or successful completion of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with total scores of 550 or above on the paper based or 213 on the computer-based test or 80 (internet version) for undergraduates. TOEFL information is available at American embassies and consulates, offices of the U.S. International Communications agency, U.S. education commissions, foundations, and binational centers, or by writing to

    Box 899
    Princeton, NJ 08541

    Keene State also accepts the IELTS International English Language Testing System English Language proficiency examination in lieu of TOEFL; the minimum acceptable proficiency grade is 6.5. IELTS scores must be sent directly from the testing agency.
  • Documentation of financial support. Applicants must complete the Certification of Finances1 as well as submit a certified bank statement that funds are available. The demonstrated level of support, not only covers tuition, room and board, but also for living expenses (pocket money, books, etc.), is necessary.

Readmission Requirements

Matriculated students who have voluntarily withdrawn from the College, or have been separated from the College due to academic or disciplinary suspension, must apply for readmission. Students on an official leave of absence do not need to request readmission. Students seeking readmission will be subject to the catalog requirements and academic standards for the academic year they are readmitted to the College. The Admissions Office will provide advisement for students on the correct procedures for readmission.

Criteria for Readmission

Admissions will consider academic, financial, and personal criteria prior to granting or denying readmission. Students who left the College in good personal and academic standing, and have not jeopardized their status during their absence, should not experience difficulty in being readmitted.

A student academically suspended from the college will be considered for readmission to the college following one regular KSC academic year semester (fall or spring) away from the college.  During the suspension, the student is eligible (but not required) to take courses at Keene State College through the Graduate Studies and Extended Education department or any other college or university.

If the student chooses to enroll in courses during their time away, it would be recommended they complete academic courses and consult with an advisor at KSC prior to enrollment.

For students attempting to return after academic suspension, the following minimum criteria form the basis for a decision on readmission but do not imply that readmission is automatic:

  • Students seeking readmission to the college will be directed to begin the process in admissions by completing the application for readmission.  An admissions counselor will connect with them immediately. 
  • Admissions staff will advise on application as New Start or Continuation. 
  • Admissions staff will direct the student to their Keene State academic advisor or Student Academic Support Services.  A student who is referred to SASS will be those who are undecided students or students who have decided to change their major since last enrolled. 
  • Meet with a KSC academic advisor prior to submitting their application to develop a plan that includes some type of reflection, reasons for previous academic difficulties and a plan for ensuring success in the future. This plan is required to consider an application complete and ready for review. 

Students seeking readmission to Keene State College, with no outstanding financial obligation to the college, will provide the following information:

  • Completed Application for Readmission and choose the New Start or Continuation Program. 
  • If employed during separation from the college, letter of recommendation from a supervisor. 
  • If the student chooses to enroll at any other college or university while away from Keene State, an official transcript will be required upon completion of coursework

New England Regional Student Program

Keene State College participates in a regional cooperative program, administered by the New England Board of Higher Education, which permits qualified, matriculated New England residents to study with reduced tuition and admission privileges in certain programs at other state colleges and universities.

This program expands higher education opportunities for New Englanders by making available to all residents on an equal basis majors or courses not commonly offered at every institution, thus reducing duplication of programs and utilizing more efficiently the higher education facilities for each state.

New England Regional entering matriculated students may request participation in or be identified as an eligible participant in NERSP at the time of matriculation to the College. An “Intent to Participate” form is available in the Admissions Office and will be mailed to eligible students. In addition, the student must submit a “Declaration of Major” form identifying one of the Keene State College eligible programs during the first six weeks of school. These forms are available at Academic and Career Advising.

Bachelors Degree Programs Available to Residents of
B.A. Holocaust and Genocide Studies CT, MA, ME, RI, VT
B.S. Sustainable Product Design and Innovation CT, MA, ME, RI, VT

Information about this program may be obtained from the Admissions or Academic and Career Advising Offices, high school guidance counselors, or

New England Board of Higher Education
45 Temple Place
Boston, MA 02111

Art Applicants

There are portfolio reviews for admittance into the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in the sophomore year for Graphic Design and in the junior year Studio Art. Students who wish to pursue in the B.F.A. in Art & Design must participate in both the Graphic Design and Studio Art portfolio reviews.

Music Applicants

Music candidates: If you are interested in the Bachelor of Music degree in either performance or music education or the Bachelor of Arts degree with any of the music specializations, or if you are interested in a minor in music, admission is a two-step process.

  • Complete the Common Application1
  • Arrange for an audition. For more information or to schedule an audition, please contact the Music Department at 603-358-2177 or e-mail

Admission to the music program does not guarantee admission to the College, and, conversely, non-admission to the music program does not mean that you cannot be admitted to the College.



The college considers students who have previously applied for deferred admissions. This enables students to reserve a space while taking time off from school for work or travel. Requests for deferrals must be put in writing and sent to the Admissions Office at Enrollment Deposits can be carried forward and applied to the following semester or year.